Vestnik of Orenburg State Pedagogical University. Electronic Scientific Journal. 2020. № 4 (36). P. 364—371
07.00.00 HISTORICAL SCIENCES AND ARCHEOLOGY
Nikulin Daniil Olegovich, Candidate of Historical Sciences, Junior Researcher
Institute of History, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
REVIEW OF THE BOOK: Stone D. THE RUSSIAN ARMY IN THE GREAT WAR: THE EASTERN FRONT, 1914—1917. Lawrence, KS : University Press of Kansas, 2015. viii, 359 p.
The article analyzes the monograph by David R. Stone, a professor at the University of Kansas, which is, in turn, dedicated to the Eastern Front of the First World War. The book examines the state of the Russian army before and during the war, the battles that took place, the reasons for Russia’s defeats and the circumstances that led to the revolution. The author managed not only to highlight all these issues in detail, but also to make a number of valuable comments on the reasons for the victories or defeats of the Russian army, relying on the latest research, both foreign and Russian. The reviewer agrees with the author’s point of view regarding some specific historical events that took place during the war, but does not agree with some of the author’s assumptions about their possible alternative development.
Russian Empire, World War I, army, military operations, Eastern Front, David R. Stone.
1. Golovin N. N. Rossiya v Pervoi mirovoi voine [Russia in World War I]. Moscow, Veche Publ., 2014. 544 p. (In Russian)
2. Kersnovskii A. A. Istoriya russkoi armii: v 4 t. T. 4 [History of the Russian army. In 4 vols. Vol. 4]. Moscow, Golos Publ., 1994. 368 p. (In Russian)
3. Menning B. U. Pulya i shtyk. Armiya Rossiiskoi imperii, 1861—1914 [Bullet and bayonet. Army of the Russian Empire, 1861—1914]. Moscow, Modest Kolerov Publ., 2015. 424 p. (In Russian)
4. Shilovskii M. V. Pervaya mirovaya voina 1914—1918 godov i Sibir’ [World War I 1914—1918 and Siberia]. Novosibirsk, Avtograf Publ., 2015. 330 p. (In Russian)
5. Beard C. R., Beard M. R. History of the United States. New York, Macmillan, 1921. 663 p.
6. Gatrell P. Russia’s First World War: A Social and Economic History. London, Pearson Education Limited. 2005. xx, 318 p.
7. Jones H. As the centenary approaches: The regeneration of First World War historiography. Historical Journal, 2013, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 857—878. Available at: https://www.jstor.org/stable/24529097.
8. Kann R. A. Gutachten zur Kriegsschuldfrage 1914. Aus dem Nachlass. By Hermann Kantorowicz. Edited and introduced by Imanuel Geiss. With a preface by Gustav W. Heinemann. (Frankfurt am Main : Europäische Verlagsanstalt. 1967. 452 S.) [Review]. Central European History, 1968, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 383—389. DOI: 10.1017/S0008938900014977.
9. Knox A. W. F. With the Russian Army 1914—1917, being chiefly extracts from the diary of a military attaché. Vol. 1. London, Hutchinson & Co., 1921. 368 p.
10. Lohr E. The Russian Army in World War I. Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History, 2016, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 688—697.
11. McMeekin S. The Russian Origins of the First World War. Cambridge, The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2011. 324 p.
12. Pintner W. M. The Burden of Defense in Imperial Russia, 1725—1914. The Russian Review, 1984, vol. 43, pp. 231—259.
13. Reforming the Tsar’s Army: Military Innovation in Imperial Russia from Peter the Great to the Revolution. Ed. by D. Schimmelpenninck van der Oye, B. W. Menning. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2004. 376 p.
14. Rielage D. C. The Russian Army in the Great War: The Eastern Front, 1914—1917. Naval College Review, 2017, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 158—159.
15. Stone N. The Eastern Front, 1914—1917. London, Penguin Books, 1998. 348 p.
16. The Military History of Tsarist Russia. Ed. by R. D. S. Higham, F. W. Kagan. Palgrave Macmillan, 2002. 266 p.
17. Transformation in Russian and Soviet Military History: Proceedings of the 12th Military Symposium United States Air Force Academy. Ed. by C. W. Reddel. Washington, D.C., United States Government Printing Office, 1990. 405 p.
18. Wildman A. K. The End of the Russian Imperial Army: The Old Army and the Soldiers’ Revolt (March — April, 1917). Vol. 1. Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1980. 434 p.
Bibliography link to this article:
Nikulin D. O. Review of the book: Stone D. The Russian Army in the Great War: The Eastern Front, 1914—1917. Lawrence, KS : University Press of Kansas, 2015. viii, 359 p. Vestnik of Orenburg State Pedagogical University. Electronic Scientific Journal, 2020, no. 4 (36), pp. 364—371. DOI: https://doi.org/10.32516/2303-9922.2020.36.22.